Top tips on doing things differently
Here are some simple, but potentially effective ways that can help move out of your comfort zone and everyday routine. The more open we are to new experiences, the more fun and exciting our lives are likely to be!
- Change your hairstyle. Ask the hairdresser for a new style. If you always have had long hair why not try a short style? If you don’t feel so brave dye it a funky new colour or wear some fun hair accessories, slides, clips or crazy hair extensions.
- Cook a meal without using a recipe. Or if you never normally experiment with recipes, choose a recipe from a book and have a go. At the supermarket buy a food that you have never tryed before.
- Walk or drive a different way to work.
- Start a conversation with a stranger, perhaps the person you are sat next to on the bus or the person you are stood in front of in the supermarket queue. Just say hello, and see what happens.
- Say yes to an invitation. Even if you are not too sure, say yes and give it a chance. You never know, you may end of having a brilliant time? You never know one event could lead to.
- Read a book from a genre, a book you would never normally choose. If you normally read fiction try a non-fiction. If you never read autobiographys give one a go, think of a person whom you admire. You are more likely to enjoy it if you have a geniuine interest in the person.
- Try listening to music you would normally never play. Classical, jazz, country, blues, rock…….there’ so much choice. Get Experimental!
- First thing in the morning or just before you go to bed write three pages of free flowing writing. Let your thoughts flow, there are no rights or wrongs. You could write about your thoughts on the past day, how you feel, the future, or just write a load of old nonsense! By doing this you will be tapping into your unconscious, creative side to your personality and mind.
- What exercise do you normally do. We all can get stuck in a rut with the same exercise routine, or no exercise routine at all. Make an effort this week to try a new form of exercise. If you normally go jogging go for a swim instead. If you have always wanted to try horse riding book a lesson, now for the weekend. What have you got to lose? You may find yourself hooked on a new sport or past time.
- Look on www.stumbleupon.com
- Rearrrange your living room furniture.
- Wear something unusual and slightly out of character. It could be a colorful hat or a funky brooch.
- Do a random act of kindness. There doesn’t have to be a reason for it. Being kind and generous to an other person will not only have a positive impact on the recipient, but will also make you feel great too! Check out www.actsofkindness.org
- A life less ordinary……….this weekend explore and go out and have a mini adventure. You don’t need lots of money to do this. Go to the local art gallery, market, nearest town, park, woods, river, library….go somewhere you’ve never been before.