Why people stay in jobs they hate
There have been a number of surveys conducted on our UK workforce www.gmtv.com and it seems that so many of us are in jobs and careers that we dislike or even hate. Are you one of these people who have the feeling of dread on a Sunday night? You know that feeling, when the last thing you want to think about is work but you know it’s fast approaching and before you know it your weekend will be over. Do you have that nervous butterfly feeling in your stomach? Does it spoil your last day of freedom before your working week begins again? It’s a horrible feeling isn’t it. I know and can sympathise because in the past I’ve been there too.
Why are such a vast number of people willing to put up with unhappiness, dissatisfaction and even misery in their working lives?
Here are some of the reasons ………any sound familiar?
“I can’t afford to change jobs because it would mean a pay cut.”
- “No one likes work, that’s just how it is.”
- “I don’t have the time to look for a new job.”
- “At my age! I’m too old to change jobs at my age.”
- “I don’t have the right experience or skills to do anything different.”
- “I’m too far down the line to make a career change now.”
- “Better the devil you know, what if it’s the wrong choice?”
- I’m useless in interviews so what’s the point.
Can you think of any others? Lets face it where all good at making excuses but should we be settling for second best? Surely life is too precious and short?